Short story collections such as George Saunders’s Tenth of December (Random, 2013), Alice Munro’s Dear Life: Stories (Knopf, 2012), and Karen Russell’s Vampires in the Lemon Grove (Knopf, 2013) engendered a good deal of conversation this past winter. 2013 Spring and summer collections show equal promise. Here are five to note:
- Bobcat and Other Stories by Rebecca Lee (Algonquin, 2013).
- All My Friends by Marie NDiaye (Two Lines Pr., 2013)
- The Peripatetic Coffin and Other Stories by Ethan Rutherford (Ecco: HarperCollins, May)
- Search Party: Stories of Rescue by Valerie Trueblood (Counterpoint, Jul.)
- The House at Belle Fontaine: Stories by Lily Tuck (Atlantic Monthly, May)