The last days of the year seem a good time to dip into reimagined fairy tales, or myths once told around a fire centuries ago. Here are five books that mine the richness of long-lived legends.
- Song of the Vikings: Snorri and the Making of Norse Myths by Nancy Marie Brown (Palgrave Macmillan)
- Ragnarok: The End of the Gods by A.S. Byatt (Grove)
- Lies, Knives, and Girls in Red Dresses by Ron Koertge and illustrated by Andrea Dezso (Candlewick)
- The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller (Ecco)
- Fairy Tales from the Brothers Grimm: A New English Version by Philip Pullman (Viking)