Steven Spielberg‘s Lincoln biopic opens nationwide this week, and with the growing buzz about the film comes more focused interest in the President. The movie draws from Doris Kearns Goodwin’s Team of Rivals, but there are many other titles that provide insight into the character and times of Lincoln, such as the five core works listed below. For readers who want even more, consider suggesting such works as Philip K. Kunhardt III’s Looking for Lincoln: The Making of an American Icon, Douglas L. Wilson’s Honor’s Voice: The Transformation of Abraham Lincoln, and Michael Burlingame’s magisterial Abraham Lincoln: A Life.
- Lincoln by David Herbert Donald (S. & S.)
- The Fiery Trial: Abraham Lincoln and American Slavery by Eric Foner (Norton)
- Abraham Lincoln by James M. McPherson (Oxford Univ.)
- With Malice Toward None: A Life of Abraham Lincoln by Stephen B. Oates (HarperPerennial: HarperCollins)
- Lincoln: A Biography by Ronald C. White Jr. (Random)