As a counter measure to the immediacy and bustle of the holidays, some readers may want books that support a longer and more retrospective view. Suggest these history titles as an anecdote to the holiday countdown clock.
- The Watchers: A Secret History of the Reign of Elizabeth I by Stephen Alford (Bloomsbury)
- Iron Curtain: The Crushing of Eastern Europe, 1944-1956 by Anne Applebaum (Doubleday)
- A Wicked War: Polk, Clay, Lincoln, and the 1846 U.S. Invasion of Mexico by Amy S. Greenberg (Knopf)
- Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power by Jon Meacham (Random)
- 1775: A Good Year for Revolution by Kevin Phillips (Viking)