Since I’m registered as a member of the dreaded press (boo, hiss), I’m being bombarded with press releases from New York Comic Con (NYCC), which will consume Manhattan’s Javits Center beginning this Thursday—woohoo! I’m Ctrl C/Ctrl V-ing the better ones (if you find typos, blame them, I make enough of my own), so you can better plan your agenda. If you see a gray, balding, bearded, broken-down fart with a massive Nikon around his neck who kinda looks like an unmade bed, say hello because that’s me. Starting Thursday I’ll be posting daily updates with pix, so check back .
There’s some mondo cool DC stuff, Skolnick and Booger will be talking King of the Nerds, and an appearance by the late, great (said with hand over heart) MST3K’s Joel, Crow, and Servo!
See ya there!
Relax, It’s Just a Show
Shout! Factory makes its foray at New York Comic Con 2012 with a stellar lineup, featuring a showcase of highly anticipated home entertainment products, exclusives, special signing, collectible giveaways and interactive fan activities at Shout! Factory booth (# 843) throughout the entire convention at the Javitz Center. Fan favorite icons Joel Hodgson (MST3K and Cinematic Titanic), Crow T. Robot, and Tom Servo from Mystery Science Theater 3000 will celebrate the excitement of this incredible pop culture gathering with Shout! Factory on Saturday, October 13, 2012 at 3 PM. Loyal fans and convention attendees will have the opportunity to get up-close and personal with Joel and the hilarious robot pals from MST3K’s Satellite of Love!
Shout! Factory also will have new DVD releases and collectibles ranging from The Astonishing X-Men to Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, to Transformers, and My Little Pony at its booth.
DC Comics always has a huge presence at NYCC, and this year will be no different:
Stephen Amell—star of The CW’s highly-anticipated Arrow—will be on hand, along with an unprecedented lineup of comic book talent to give fans and attendees exclusive insight into DC Entertainment’s best-selling titles and iconic characters.
DC Entertainment will also debut its new, fully interactive booth experience at New York Comic-Con. First revealed at San Diego Comic-Con earlier this year, the state-of-the-art booth includes a demo area where fans can experience digital comic book reading on the iPad, Nook and Kindle and a green screen that will allow attendees to pose next to some of their favorite Super-Villains. Fans will also be able to purchase exclusive merchandise at the DC Entertainment booth for the first time, including top titles and a wide selection of DC Collectibles product.
DC Entertainment can be found at booth #1238. Here are some of the major stories fans can look forward to hearing about at the show—plus much more:
- Following the historic, nationwide debut of “Arrow Day,” superstar comic book writer and DC Entertainment Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns joins the cast and creators of ARROW for an exclusive panel to provide new insights into the new television series on Sunday at 11 a.m. in the IGN Theater.
- Con-goers and panel attendees will be treated to major, game-changing news announcements affecting the Man of Steel and the entire SUPERMAN family of titles.
- Fans will also be treated to key revelations and jaw-dropping, beautiful art from the best-selling BATMAN: DEATH OF THE FAMILY event courtesy of writer Scott Snyder, artist Greg Capullo and an all-star cast of talent.
- DC Entertainment will announce details on a new and unique partnership in support of WE CAN BE HEROES.
- The literary event of the season will be a major point of interest, as the gritty graphic novel adaptation of THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO speeds toward its November release.
- Clues surround the next chapter in the epic GREEN LANTERN comic book saga, as fans will get hints at what’s coming their way in the pages of the RISE OF THE THIRD ARMY crossover event.
- Vertigo fans will get a heavy dose of their favorite titles – along with some groundbreaking new additions, including SANDMAN, DJANGO UNCHAINED, GHOSTS and FABLES: WEREWOLVES OF THE HEARTLAND and more.
Can’t make the Con? DC Entertainment’s website is the go-to place for exclusive announcements, creator access and artwork reveals and more. Visit the “Con Away From Con” page at http://www.dccomics.com/tags/con-away-from-con.
DC Entertainment’s New York Comic-Con 2012 panel schedule includes:
Thursday, October 11:
5:00-6:00pm – DC Collectibles
6:30-7:30pm – DC Comics – THE NEW 52: Superman
Friday, October 12:
10:15-11:00am – DC Entertainment: Talent Search
12:30-1:30pm – DC Entertainment: From Concept to Page
1:30-2:30pm – Vertigo: A View from the Cutting Edge of Comics
2:45-3:45pm – DC Comics: Green Lantern – The Third Army Arrives
4:15-5:15pm – DC Comics All Access: Before Watchmen
Saturday, October 13:
11:00am-12:00pm – DC Entertainment: Talent Search
12:15pm-1:15pm – Mad about MAD
1:30-2:30pm – DC Comics – THE NEW 52
4:00-5:00pm – Vertigo – Fables: 10th Anniversary!
5:15-6:15pm – DC Comics: Justice League
Sunday, October 14:
11:00am-12:00pm – DC Entertainment: Meet the Co-Publishers
12:15pm-1:15pm – DC Comics: Batman – Death Comes to Gotham
2:30-3:30pm – Drawing DC: Kids Edition
The Real Mad Men
MAD Magazine Editor John Ficarra is hosting a preview of the never-before-seen pages of Totally MAD, the new book celebrating MAD Magazine’s 60th anniversary (on sale Oct. 30). Ficarra and “The Usual Gang of Idiots” will host a MAD panel on Saturday, October 13 (Room 1A23, 12:15-1:15 PM). Panelists include MAD Art Director Sam Viviano, Spy vs. Spy artist/writer Peter Kuper, illustrator Drew Friedman, and the legendary Al Jaffee.Audience Q&A with prizes!
Composing for Film & TV
A great musical score can make or break a film/TV production, but who are the guys behind them? Composers of popular sci-fi, fantasy, horror, and animation will be speaking at Setting the Score: Composing for Film & TV Panel, Friday, October 12,11:00am , Room 1A01. Panelists are:
- Kevin Manthei, Invader Zim, Ultimate Spider-Man, Batman: Gotham Knight, and Justice League: New Frontier
- Dino Meneghin, MTV’s Teen Wolf
- Frederik Wiedmann Green Lantern Animated Series
- Jay Vincent Ninjago
Panelists will give the audience a sneak peek into their work on their fan-favorite films and television shows. The panel will feature a Q&A and special give-aways. Matthew Patches (Editor, Hollywood.com) will moderate
The Man Who Would Be King Nerd
There will be armies of nerds at NYCC, but who is the biggest nerdzilla? TBS is previewing its 2013 reality TV competition series King of the Nerds in which “11 geeky competitors living together in a “nerd-tastic” house face challenges that test their intellect, ingenuity, unique skills, and pop-culture prowess all in the quest to be crowned king and win $100,000.”
Jeff Rubin from College Humor will moderate a panel with the show’s hosts, none other than Skolnick and Booger, a.k.a. Robert Carradine and Curtis Armstrong (Revenge of the Nerds). Attendees can test their nerd skills and have a chance to win cool prizes!
Saturday, October 13
2:45 PM- 3:45 PM, Panel/1A23
4:00 PM- 5:00 PM Autograph Signing/ NYCC Autograph Area, Hall 1B, Table 2
5:30 PM- 6:30 PM Media Interviews/ NYCC Press Room, Hall C