Considering the recent news from VIDA about the gender of reviewers and the authors they review, it seems timely in this month celebrating the strides of women to not only celebrate women authors but also women reviewers. Here are five outstanding new works by women followed by the names of the women who reviewed them for LJ:
- Carol Anshaw’s Carry the One (S. & S.); reviewed by Donna Bettencourt
- Megan Mayhew Bergman’s Birds of a Lesser Paradise: Stories (Scribner); reviewed by Sue Russell
- Heidi Julavits’s The Vanishers (Doubleday); reviewed by Christine Perkins
- Madeline Miller’s The Song of Achilles (Ecco); reviewed by Jane Henriksen Baird
- Lucy Worsley’s If Walls Could Talk (Walker & Co.); reviewed by Kathleen McCallister
To continue celebrating women writers, watch for the announcement of the Orange Prize long list due on March 16.